Alternate Education Program
To provide a high school educational opportunity for students in grades 8 through 12, who for a variety of reasons, are unable to achieve success in a traditional school environment. It is located in the Celtic Family of Schools (Pictou County).
Goals of the School:
- To address students’ academic, social and emotional needs in a flexible, individualized learning environment.
- To provide educational experiences and skill development necessary for students’ next steps. This may include:
- completing credits for graduation
- support for transitioning back to home school
- enabling part-time study
- employability skills and preparation for the workforce
- To explore fitness, recreational, and job-related opportunities in our community
Is this program for me?
- enrolled in Grade 8 through 12?
- interested in obtaining your high school diploma?
- not having success in school but feel like you could?
- sometimes have difficulty getting along with classmates and/or teachers?
- experiencing difficulty with regular school attendance?
- at risk for dropping out of school early?
- interested in making personal changes in your life and willing to work towards these changes in a supportive, individualized environment?
- willing to participate in project- based, service learning, and community connected learning?
What we offer:
- Flexible and individualized academic programming
- Flexible scheduling
- An opportunity to learn through hands-on, experiential, and project based experiences
- Small classes
- A focus on personal growth and development
- Opportunities to explore community resources and career information
How can I become a student in this program?
- See your school counselor or administrator for an application form.
- Complete and submit your application form to….
- Attend an assessment meeting and interview with the Alternative Education Program Principal and staff.
- Wait to hear if you have been selected to attend.
Students must make a commitment to:
- Attend regularly
- Participate fully in academic work as well as recreational and community-based activities
- Engage in social-emotional aspects of the program
- Contribute to a safe, healthy, welcoming, and positive learning environment