Putting the BEST BOOK forward: CCRSB’s Teen Reader’s Choice Award returns!
The Chignecto-Central Regional School Board’s (CCRSB) Teen Reader’s Choice Award is back for its third year! The award program, facilitated by CCRSB Library Services, invites students in grades 7 to 12 to read at least one book from the Top 10 and then to vote for their favourite to be crowned the winner.
“The Teen Reader’s Choice Award encourages students to read, discuss, and vote for some of the best young adult fiction recently published,” says Jolene Shaw, CCRSB Library Services Manager. “The shortlist of 10 titles selected by CCRSB Library Services staff represents a wide variety of genres and will introduce students to a broad range of young adult fiction authors.”
The 2014 Top 10 books are:
- The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey
- The Beginning of Everything by Robyn Schneider
- Bomb: The Race to Build – And Steal – The World’s Most Powerful Weapon by Steve Sheinkin
- Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell
- Every Day by David Levithan
- Far Far Away by Tom McNeal
- I Am Malala: The Girl Who Stood Up for Education and Was Shot by the Taliban by Malala Yousafzai with Christina Lamb
- Never Fall Down by Patricia McCormick
- Nothing Can Possibly Go Wrong by Prudence Shen and Faith Erin Hicks
- Seraphina by Rachel Hartman
Students are encouraged to read one or more of the Top 10 books between March 4 and May 9, and to discuss it in school and online at http://ccrsbteenchoice.wordpress.com. Students will be able to vote for their favourite Top 10 book up until May 9; the 2014 CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award winning book will be announced on May 20 with a series of in-school awards ceremonies that week.
The CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award program celebrates reading for pleasure and encourages students to have conversations about books and reading.
To track the progress of the 2014 CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award, visit http://ccrsbteenchoice.wordpress.com.
The Chignecto-Central Regional School Board is comprised of 17 board members and over 3,000 staff all striving to develop independent, lifelong learners in a student-centered environment, with high expectations for all. CCRSB serves over 20,000 students from Primary to Grade 12, throughout the counties of Colchester, Cumberland and Pictou and the Municipality of East Hants.
For more information, contact:
Debbie Buott-Matheson, Communications Manager
Chignecto-Central Regional School Board