CCRSB’s Teen Reader’s Choice Award returns!
The Chignecto-Central Regional School Board’s (CCRSB) Teen Reader’s Choice Award is back for its fourth year! The award program, facilitated by CCRSB Library Services, invites students in grades 7 to 12 to read at least one book from the Top 10 and then to vote for their favourite to be crowned the winner.
“The Teen Reader’s Choice Award gives students the opportunity to interact and enjoy reading with other students who have the same passion,” says Jolene Shaw, CCRSB Library Services Manager. “This year the shortlist of 10 titles selected by CCRSB Library Services staff represents positive portrayals of diversity that students can relate to.”
The 2015 Top 10 books are:
- The Young Elites by Marie Lu
- We Were Liars by E. Lockhart
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- Out of the Easy by Ruta Sepetys
- In The Shadow of Blackbirds by Cat Winters
- Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein
- War Brothers by Sharon E. McKay and Daniel Lafrance
- Say What You Will by Cammie McGovern
- Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
- The Nazi Hunters: How a Team of Spies and Survivors Captured the World's Most Notorious Nazi by Neal Bascomb
Students are encouraged to read one or more of the Top 10 books between March 3 and May 19, and to discuss the book(s) in school and online. Students will be able to vote for their favourite Top 10 book until May 19. The 2015 CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award winning book will be announced on May 26 with a series of in-school awards ceremonies that week.
The CCRSB Teen Reader’s Choice Award program celebrates reading for pleasure and encourages students to have conversations about books and reading.
The Chignecto-Central Regional School Board is comprised of 17 board members and 2,700 staff all striving to develop independent, lifelong learners in a student-centered environment, with high expectations for all. CCRSB serves over 20,000 students from Primary to Grade 12, throughout the counties of Colchester, Cumberland and Pictou and the Municipality of East Hants.