Acronyms & Glossary of Terms
Recent Changes in Terminology
Changes in terminology are often introduced to signal new initiatives, indicate a shift in focus, or reflect new understandings. While these changes are intended to convey meaning to the reader or listener, confusion can result. As the range of programs and services for students in Nova Scotia has expanded, different school boards have assigned different names to similar services and similar names to different services.
The Nova Scotia Department of Education and Early Childhood Development now encourages regional education centres to use uniform language when describing services. With respect to Student Services-related language in CCRCE, visitors to the Student Services section of CCRCE’s website will find:
- Resource Teacher replaces Program Support Teacher, formerly often referred to by the acronym PST. Resource Teachers provide services in Resource and other classrooms, but not in Learning Centres.
- Learning Centre Teacher refers to professionals teaching Special Education, Life Skills and Extended Program Support; it does not refer to Resource or Program Support Teachers, as it often did in the past.
- Learning Centre now refers to spaces which may also be known as Special Education Classrooms, Life Skills Classrooms, and /or Extended Program Support Classrooms across the province of Nova Scotia. CCRCE is working toward adopting the use of the term “Learning Centre.”
- Support Teacher refers to a range of professionals providing a particular support in their roles as Resource, Learning Disability, and Learning Centre Teachers.
- Teacher Assistant (TA) is the provincial term for Educational Assistant (EA). CCRCE does not use the term TA at this time since the current Educational Assistants’ contract with NSGEU uses the term EA. Notwithstanding this difference in title, the policies, guidelines and procedures in the provincial document entitled Teacher Assistant Guidelines, apply to EAs in CCRCE.